Wednesday, 20 October 2010

yesterday


I had the most productive day planned. After dropping Ruby off at nursery school I hopped on the bus to Camden. I took Kaneu's cello into the music shop for tuning. Also on the agenda were the cobbler and Whole*Foods. Then things took a BAD turn. Somewhere along the way to the cobblers I fell down. Admittedly I was looking at my phone (g**gle maps) while walking. It all happened suddenly but I think that maybe the pavement was uneven? The next thing I knew I was down on the round sprawled out. I may have yelled, too. And then there was crying. Thankfully some nice man walking by helped me gather my things (including my broken i*Phone). When I stood up I instantly fell down again. My ankle was throbbing and the opposite knee was exposed and scraped (I tore my favorite cords!). My elbow and neck were not feeling great either. Thankfully after about a minute of me thinking oh f%$#! WTF am i going to do? a taxi came by and I hobbled in and headed to the hospital. I was crying and incoherently talking and weeping. Oh I was a mess. My ankle looked as though a clemenine were attached to the side of it - it was that swollen instantly. The taxi driver was very sweet and offered for me to use his phone. I tried calling Brian but he was on the train and hadn't gotten to Notts yet ... Nottingham is 2 hours north. After going into the A&E (ER) I quickly realized I was going to be here all day and that would not do. There were at least 20 ppl waiting and only one intake person. I was still crying and hobbled over to the payphone. I was able to leave a very hysterical message on Brian's phone. Sadly I couldn't call anyone else because I don't have anyone's number memorized (except Brian's) - they are stored in the (broken) phone. Then I hobbled out of that hospital and into another taxi to another hospital (a private one). I called Brian again (thanks to the taxi driver) and was much calmer at that point. He told me he was on his way back to London. I had just seen a new GP at this private hospital last week (finally got some antibiotics for my upper resp infection) and was hoping to see the same (very sweet) doc and thankfully I did! On the way to get my x-ray Elaine showed up - Brian had called her and she left work to check on me!! Such a sweet friend. I was so happy to see her. The x-ray and CT scan showed torn ligaments and some minor bone breakages. I am now in a boot and on crutches. I will meet with a PT tomorrow and have a MRI on Monday. This has NEVER happened to me before. I've never been on crutches, had a broken bone or a sprained anything. So, expect to be hearing a lot more from me now that I am couch bound for the next week. You'll be sick of me for sure! Heck, I'll be sick of me!



16 comments:

susan said...

After all of that I wouldn't be smiling for that photo!

I'm so sorry for the accident and hope your body heals quickly and well.

Christine said...

I wouldn't be smiling either! Here's hoping you heal QUICKLY!

Michelle said...

So sorry. Such a bad day and I blame it all on that damn smartphone!

Lyndsay said...

OH NO!
I'm so sorry Dana, that just SUCKS! I hope it heals up super-quick.

kerryanne said...

OH NO!! But you are smiling and looking so cute in this pic! Take it easy!!!

Elizabeth Frick said...

Friend, I saw the photo and my brain screamed "Nooooo!" for you. Ugh.
Although I can't complain about the promise (threat?) of lots of posts and photos!

kelly said...

Oh, MAN! That sucks. I'm so sorry. Sounds painful and to be all by yourself and hailing cabs, etc. Ugh! Rest up and we'll look forward to lots of blog posts :)

Amanda said...

Oh my goodness! That must have been quite a fall!!! I hope you get better soon (although I am looking forward to your upcoming posts!).

carolyn said...

daaaaannnnaaaaa!! oh. my. word.

do they at least have a boot that would blend a little better with your fall wardrobe?? sheesh!!

hugs my friend.

dana said...

I am only smiling b/c I'm FINALLY going home ... 4 hours later. And b/c my sweet friend was there and I was able to stop crying and stop feeling sorry for myself. I am a big ol' baby when it comes to this kinda stuff!!

willowsmama (Brooke) said...

Ouchies!! At least you can have some down time and do a few little projects or something..or veg;)

Krista said...

Oh no!!! Good chance to get caught up on Corie!
Feel better!

MandM said...

That sucks! Heal quick!

Kmoana said...

Awwww D this stinks! I'm sorry...I hope you heal & bounce back quickly!!!

Dina said...

Oh Dana, I can just picture the scene. So sorry to hear of your not so great day and I hope the MRI reveals no true tearing.

Mary Kim said...

OMG!! Poor you! What an awful turn of events! Do you need anything- as I'm practically down the block from you... let me know. I would have been a wreck if that had happened to me. PLUS the iPhone? ICK! Please let me know if you need anything.